In Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? By Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, a follow up to a Harvard Business Review article by the same name explores the idea of gender and leadership. Many men becoming leaders because of traits that do not always lead to the success of the organization. Chamorro-Premuzic explores why we focus on the wrong personality traits when choosing leaders, and what decision makers might do to find better leaders of all genders in the future.
“…the under-representation of women in leadership was not due to their lack of ability or motivation, but due to our inability to detect incompetence in men.”
― Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?
Discussion Guide for Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? by Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic
One of my goals for the year was to read more business books. As a business person, I am always looking to broaden my understanding of the greater world of business, leadership and ethics outside of my own organization and role. This book, Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? is the first book in a new series that I will be doing on the blog to highlight books that I enjoyed. I will not be putting together a traditional review, but I will be providing a discussion guide as I think books like these are meant to be discussed and shared, not necessarily critiqued the same way that I do with fiction. Below are my questions for this book and a link to a printable version of my discussion guide.
- How do you feel about the main premise of this book?
- What do you agree with, what do you disagree with?
- What are the leadership traits that you look for in a leader?
- Do you see the leaders in your organization embodying these traits?
- Do you agree that women are not usually chosen to be leaders because they do not embody the same leadership traits that men do?
- What have been your experiences with gender and leadership?
- Do they align with the message of the book? Why or why not?
- Do you have any other thoughts to why certain men and women are chosen as leaders above others?
- In the ultimate chapter, Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic outlines how all leaders can be better and more effective. Do you agree with this list?
This and all my posts may contain affiliate links! Please see full disclosure – Here – Kate <3